‘Digital India’ being steadily made a people’s movement, says Prasad

State

BHUBANESWAR, MAY 28

‘Digital India’ is being steadily made a people’s movement, said Union Minister of Electronics and IT Ravi Shankar Prasad.

Inaugurating the fourth National Data Centre of National Informatics Centre (NIC) after Delhi, Hyderabad and Pune in Bhubaneswar today, the Minster said Digital India is important as people including slum dwellers and poor people are using smart phones. “They are learning quickly how to utilize the services of mobile apps to transact digital payments for various services”, he said. Prasad said that this data centre in Bhubaneswar is of global standards. Emphasizing the significance of the new national data centre, he further said that data centre is important because data sanctity is vital and in the IT ecosystem, data centres add to the digital clout of a State or location and raise its global profile.

Prasad said, presently 89 BPO centres are operating in the country. In Odisha, 7 BPO centres are operational including at Jaleswar (Balasore) and Cuttack. Eight more BPO centres will come up in Bhubaneswar, Puri and Sambalpur soon. The Union Minister said the Centre has approved Rs. 200 crore under green field electronic manufacturing cluster scheme. “Odisha will have first electronic manufacturing cluster soon. However, the Odisha government should provide a level playing field and conduce atmosphere to attract big players to the State”, he said, adding over 4.5 lakh jobs have been created in the electronics manufacturing sector during last three years. The Union Minister said, NIC has developed a National Digital Monitoring System through which the functioning of toilets is monitored regularly. He said NIC should be more and more innovative to make Digital India a successful pro-people initiative.

Addressing the gathering, Union Minister for Petroleum and Natural Gas, Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Dharmendra Pradhan said, Odisha has enough talent in the Digital Sector. “Hundreds of educated Odia youths are working outside the state. If a strong and viable Digital Infrastructure is created, then Odia youths will return to their states and serve here. Odisha government has to enhance the Digital Infrastructure to enhance the delivery system”, he said.

Pradhan said, the Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Ministry is going to establish a National Skill Trainers Institute in Bhubaneswar soon. The Minister said he has asked SAP to recommend the futuristic technologist which can benefit the common man for the next 20-30 years. He said without the help of State government nothing can be achieved. “Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government keeps faith on cooperative federalism. When NDA came to power, 4 crore households didn’t have electricity. Prime Minister has launched SOUBHAGYA YOJANA to provide electricity connection to all these households. Under this scheme 90 percent cost will be borne by the centre and the rest 10 percent will be given by state. NIC should provide all assistance to the State government in enhancing Digital Infrastructure and promoting central schemes”, he stated.

Pradhan said that, under PRAGATI digital initiatives, the Prime Minister has been monitoring the progress of unfinished projects in the country. Odisha, Bihar, UP and J&K are lagging behind in toilet construction. “Odisha government should complete the task at least before Rath Yatra”, he said.

“With a slew of government apps including mygov, eWay bill, public finance management system, e-Hospitals all being hosted by NIC, the demand for computing and storage has increased many folds,” Neeta Verma, Director General of NIC said at the launch.

NIC currently has 4,500 people across India in its various operations and will hire 800 professionals in the next one year, including for 355 cyber security experts, to tackle rising risks of cyber security. NIC provides technology support to all governance services and hosts nearly 10,000 websites of the government

The new cloud-enabled National Data Centre aims to offer round-the-clock operations with secure hosting for various e-governance applications of Central and State Governments and has ability to support 35,000 virtual servers. The National Data Centre will provide benefits like on-demand access to ICT (Information and Communication Technology) infrastructure for easy availability and quick deployment of applications and standardized platforms of deployment. In the traditional model, Departments have to budget and procure infrastructure at the commencement of the project, leading to either over provisioning of infrastructure or under-sizing of the requirements whereas the cloud service offerings of NIC would allow departments to provision infrastructure and add to the computing capacity “on demand”. During the programme Biglee Bati mobile App was launched.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *